Cyrene (Samuel Holyoke)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-11-27). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 30 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. The other three stanzas from Alline´s hymn included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-11-26). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 30 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other three stanzas of Alline´s hymn included.
Description: Words by Henry Alline, 1786, Hymn 7 of Book 2, entitled A call to the careless, with four stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Why will ye die, O wretched man,
And choose the way to hell?
Jehovah offers you a crown,
And you with him may dwell.
2. Turn, turn unhappy souls return,
Accept eternal peace,
Why will you at the Savior spurn,
Who offers you his grace?
3. Why will you hug your cruel chains,
And load your souls with guilt;
Jesus has come to bear your pains,
For you his blood was spilt.
4. Will you reject eternal joy,
And love divine despise;
Or why will ye yourselves destroy,
When Jesus for you dies?