- (Posted 2018-05-25) CPDL #49844:
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2018-05-25). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 135 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Modulationum sacrarum quinque et sex vocum libri tres, 1583, Nuremberg. Original pitch (high chiavette) and note values.
- CPDL #05826: (Sibelius 2)
- Editor: Steven Langley Guy (submitted 2003-10-21). Score information: A4, 14 pages, 132 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: in original C clefs. Note values halved.
Title: Egressus Jesus
Composer: Giaches de Wert
Number of voices: 7vv Voicing: SSMsATBarB or AATTBarBB
Genre: Sacred, Motet
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1581 in Modulationum liber primus, 6vv.
Description: A setting of Matthew 15:21, the Gospel for Ordinary time 20 in year A.
Original text and translations
Egressus Jesus secessit
in partes Tÿri et Sidonis.
Et ecce mulier Chananaea
a finibus illis egressa clamavit, dicens ei:
Miserere mei, Domine fili David:
filia mea male a daemonio vexatur.
Qui non respondit ei verbum.
Et accedentes discipuli ejus
rogabant eum dicentes:
Dimitte eam: quia clamat post nos.
Ipse autem respondens ait:
Non sum missus nisi ad oves,
quae perierunt domus Israel.
At illa venit, et adoravit eum,
dicens: Domine, adjuva me.
Qui respondens ait:
Non est bonum sumere panem
filiorum, et dare canibus.
At illa dixit: Etiam Domine:
nam et catelli edunt de micis
quae cadunt de mensa dominorum suorum.
Tunc respondens Jesus, ait illi:
O mulier, magna est fides tua:
fiat tibi sicut vis.
Jesus went away and withdrew
to the district of Tyre and Sidon.
And behold, a Canaanite woman
from that region came out and cried to him,
"Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David;
my daughter is severely possessed by a demon."
But he did not answer her a word.
And his disciples came
and begged him, saying,
"Send her away, for she is crying after us."
He answered her,
"I was sent only to the sheep
who were lost of the house of Israel."
But she came and knelt before him,
saying, "Lord, help me."
And he answered,
"It is not good to take the bread
of the children and give it to the dogs."
But she said, "Yes, Lord,
yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs
that fall from the table of their masters.”
Then Jesus answered her,
"O woman, great is your faith!
Be it done for you as you desire."