Hard by a crystal fountain (Thomas Morley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-02-06). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 133 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Revised files uploaded 23/12/17. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-12-03). Score information: Letter, 12 pages, 123 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Marco Gallo (submitted 2005-09-16). Score information: Letter, 12 pages, 123 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 88 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 2000-06-20). Score information: Letter, 12 pages, 194 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Source: Novello edition (no date). MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Errors detected: m. 15,T1:(b b c d); m. 67,B:(c g f-nat? d); m. 87,T1:(e d c#).
Title: Hard by a Crystal Fountain
Composer: Thomas Morley
Description: No. 24 from The Triumphs of Oriana
Original text and translations
Hard by a crystal fountain,
Oriana the Bright lay down asleeping.
The birds they finely chirped, the winds were stilled;
sweetly with these accenting the air was filled.
This is that Fair, whose head a crown deserveth,
which Heav'n for her reserveth.
Leave, shepherds, your lambs keeping,
upon the barren mountain,
and nymphs attend on her and leave your bowers,
for she the shepherd's life maintains and yours.
Then sang the shepherds and nymphs of Diana:
Long live fair Oriana!