- (Posted 2016-11-07) CPDL #41731:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-07). Score information: A4, 1 page, 23 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Composer: Jeremiah Clarke
Lyricist: Edward Caswall
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Original text and translations
1. My God, I love Thee, not because
I hope for heaven thereby,
Nor yet because who love Thee not
Are lost eternally.
2. Thou, my Lord Jesus, Thou didst me
Upon the cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails and spear,
And manifold disgrace;
3. And griefs and torments numberless,
And sweat of agony,
Yea, death itself, and all for one
Who was thine enemy.
4. Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ,
Should I not love Thee well?
Not for the sake of winning heaven,
Or of escaping hell;
5. Not with the hope of gaining aught;
Not seeking a reward;
But as Thyself hast loved me,
O ever-loving Lord.
6. E'en so I love Thee, and will love,
And in Thy praise will sing;
Solely because Thou art my God,
And my eternal King.