- CPDL #30032: (Finale 2004)
- Editor: Willem Verkaik (submitted 2013-09-01). Score information: A4, 19 pages, 352 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- I would suggest that Soprano's third note in bar 95 requires an editorial natural. - Mick Swithinbank
- Possible error(s) identified. See the discussion page for full description.
Title: Hoc enim sentite in vobis
Composer: Giaches de Wert
Source of text: Philippians 2:5-11
Number of voices: 5vv Voicing: SATTB
Genre: Sacred, Motet
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1581 in Il secondo libro de motetti a cinque voci, no. 2.
Original text and translations
5 Hoc enim sentite in vobis, quod et in Christo Iesu:
6 qui cum in forma Dei esset, non rapinam arbitratus est esse se æqualem Deo:
7 sed semet ipsum exinanivit formam servi accipiens, in similitudinem hominum factus, et habitu inventus ut homo.
8 Humiliavit semet ipsum factus obediens usque ad mortem, mortem autem crucis.
9 Propter quod et Deus exaltavit illum, et donavit illi nomen, quod est super omne nomen:
10 ut in nomine Iesu omne genu flectatur cælestium, terrestrium,
11 et omnis lingua confiteatur quia Dominus Iesus Christus in gloria est Dei Patris.
5 For let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man.
8 He humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the cross.
9 For which cause, God also hath exalted him and hath given him a name which is above all names:
10 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth,
and under the earth:
11 And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.