Hold out my heart (Thomas Morley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-04-14). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 37 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #14959, with corrections. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 37 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Laura Conrad (submitted 1999-12-07). Score information: Letter, 10 pages, 697 kB Copyright: GnuGPL
- Edition notes: In partbook format
Title: Hold out my heart
Composer: Thomas Morley
Description: No. 5 from Canzonets for three voices
Original text and translations
Hold out my heart, with joy's delights accloyed,
O hold thou out my heart, and show it,
That all the world may know it,
What sweet content thou lately hast enjoyed;
She that, "Come dear", would say,
Then laugh and run away,
And if I stayed her, thus would she then cry,
"Nay, fie for shame, fie",
My true love true not regarding;
hath giv'n my love now at length his full rewarding.
So that, unless I may tell the joys that overfill me,
My joys kept in, I know in time will kill me.