Medley of early carols (James W. Keefe)
- Editor: James W. Keefe (submitted 2012-09-15). Score information: Letter, 18 pages, 82 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
First published: 2008
Description: Medley includes:
- Psallite Unigenito, Michael Praetorius, 1609;
- While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night, Michael Praetorius;
- Now the Holly Bears a Berry (Sans Day Carol), English Traditional; and
- Past Three O'Clock, English Tradional.
Original text and translations
Latin, German and English text
Christo, Dei Filio, Christo Dei Filio,
Redemptori Domino, puerulo, iacenti in praesepio.
‘’Ein kleines Kindelein liegt in dem Krippelein;
Alle liebe Engelein dienen dem Kindelein.’’
Original text and translations may be found at While shepherds watched their flocks by night.
Now the Holly bears a berry as white as the milk
and Mary bore Jesus, all wrapped up in silk.
R.: And Mary bore Jesus Christ our Saviour for to be
and the first tree in the greenwood, it was the holly.
Past three o'clock and a cold frosty morning,
Past three o'clock, good morrow masters all!
Born is a baby, gentle as may be,
Son of the eternal, Father supernal.