Oft in danger, oft in woe (Henry J. Gauntlett)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2019-01-14). Score information: A4, 1 page, 39 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: As found in the New English Hymnal. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: To the hymn tune "University College"
External websites: http://www.embassysingers.de
Original text and translations
1. Oft in danger, oft in woe,
onward, Christians, onward go;
bear the toil, maintain the strife,
strengthened with the bread of life.
2. Onward, Christians, onward go,
join the war, and face the foe;
will ye flee in danger's hour?
Know ye not your Captain's power?
3. Let your drooping hearts be glad;
march in heavenly armour clad;
fight, nor think the battle long:
victory soon shall tune your song.
4. Let not sorrow dim your eye;
soon shall every tear be dry:
let not fears your course impede;
great your strength, if great your need.
5. Onward then in battle move;
more than conquerors ye shall prove:
though opposed by many a foe,
Christian soldiers, onward go.