- (Posted 2016-11-24) CPDL #42027:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file(s) is (are) in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-14). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: From the Cyber Hymnal.
Title: On the resurrection morning
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: Sabine Baring-Gould
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 87. 83
Instruments: A cappella or keyboard
First published: 1872 in The European psalmist, no. 611, p. 488
Original text and translations
1 On the Resurrection morning
Soul and body meet again;
No more sorrow, no more weeping,
No more pain!
2 Here awhile they must be parted,
And the flesh its Sabbath keep,
Waiting in a holy stillness,
Wrapt in sleep.
3 For a while the wearied body
Lies with feet toward the morn;
Till the last and brightest Easter
Day be born.
4 But the soul in contemplation
Utters earnest prayer and strong,
Bursting at the Resurrection
5 Soul and body reunited
Thenceforth nothing shall divide,
Waking up to Christ's own likeness,
6 O the beauty, O the gladness
Of that Resurrection day,
Which shall not through endless ages
7 On that happy Easter morning
All the graves their dead restore;
Father, sister, child, and mother
Meet once more.
8 To that brightest of all meetings
Bring us, Jesu Christ, at last,
By thy Cross, through death and judgement,