Reviving Hope (Oliver Holden)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-18). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 53 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. The other four stanzas of Steele's hymn added below. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-18). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 66 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other four stanzas from Steele's hymn added below.
Description: Words by Anne Steele, 1760, entitled The Savior's Invitation, in five stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. The Savior calls, let every ear
Attend the heavenly sound;
Ye doubting souls, dismiss your fear,
Hope smiles reviving round.
2. For every thirsty, longing heart,
Here streams of bounty flow,
And life, and health, and bliss impart.
To banish mortal woe.
3. Here, springs of sacred pleasure rise,
To ease your every pain,
(Immortal fountain! full supplies!)
Nor shall you thirst in vain.
4. Ye sinners, come, 'tis mercy's voice,
The gracious call obey;
Mercy invites to heavenly joys —
And can you yet delay ?
5. Dear Savior, draw reluctant hearts,
To Thee let sinners fly,
And take the bliss Thy love imparts,
And drink and never die.
The Savior's Invitation by Anne Steele, based on John 7:37