Born: 8 June 1810
Died: 29 July 1856
Robert Schumann, sometimes given as Robert Alexander Schumann, was a German composer, aesthete and influential music critic. He is one of the most famous Romantic composers of the 19th century.
He had hoped to pursue a career as a virtuoso pianist, having been assured by his teacher Friedrich Wieck that he could become the finest pianist in Europe after only a few years of study with him. However, a hand injury prevented those hopes from being realized, and he decided to focus his musical energies on composition. His published compositions were, until 1840, all for the piano; he later composed works for piano and orchestra, many lieder, four symphonies, an opera, and other orchestral, choral and chamber works. His writings about music appeared mostly in Die neue Zeitschrift für Musik ("The New Journal for Music"), a Leipzig-based publication that he jointly founded.
In 1840, after a long and acrimonious legal battle with her father, he married pianist Clara Wieck, a considerable figure of the Romantic period in her own right. For the last two years of his life, after an attempted suicide, Schumann was confined to a mental institution.
- The above is an excerpt from Wikipedia. For the full article, click here.
List of vocal works
List of choral works
- Requiem für Mignon Op. 98b
- Vom Pagen und der Königstochter Op. 140 SATB soli & chor, orch.
Masses and Requiems
- See also #Arrangements for chorus below.
Arrangements for chorus
- An den Sonnenschein, Op. 36 No 4
- Belsazar (arranged for SAB)
- Dextera Domini
- Erstes Grün, Op. 35, No. 4
- Hör' ich das Liedchen klingen
- Im wunderschönen Monat Mai
- Sag an, o lieber Vogel mein, Op. 27 No. 1
- Wenn ich in deine Augen seh'
- Frühlingsgruß, Op. 79, No. 4
- Vom Schlaraffenland Op. 79, No. 5
- Volksliedchen Op. 51 No. 2 "Wenn ich früh in den Garten geh"
- Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär, Op. 43, No. 1
- Herbstlied, Op. 43, No. 2
- Schön Blümelein, Op. 43, No. 3
- Wiegenlied am Lager eines kranken Kindes, Op. 78, No. 3
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL