Ten thousand times ten thousand (John Bacchus Dykes)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-28). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1927. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. Ten thousand times ten thousand, In sparkling raiment bright,
The armies of the ransomed saints Throng up the steeps of light;
'Tis finished, all is finished, Their fight with death and sin;
Fling open wide the golden gates, And let the victors in.
2. What rush of hallelujahs Fills all the earth and sky!
What ringing of a thousand harps Bespeaks the triumph nigh!
O day for which creation And all its tribes were made!
O joy, for all its former woes A thousand-fold repaid!
3. O then what raptured greetings On Canaan's happy shore,
What knitting severed friendships up, Where partings are no more!
Then eyes with joy shall sparkle That brimmed with tears of late!
Orphans no longer fatherless, Nor widows desolate.
4. Bring near the great salvation, Thou Lamb for sinners slain;
Fill up the roll of Thine elect, Then take Thy power and reign;
Appear, Desire of nations; Thine exiles long for home;
Show in the heaven Thy promised sign; Thou Prince and Saviour, come.