The Prodigal Son (Elisha J. King)
- Editor: William Long (submitted 2006-07-19). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: Prodigal Son, The
Composer: Elisha J. King
External websites: http://www.drdrbill.com/music.html
Original text and translations
1. Afflictions, tho' they seem severe,
Are oft in mercy sent;
They stopped the prodigal's career,
And caused him to repent.
Oh! I die with hunger here, he cries,
And starve in a foreign land,
My Father's house hath large supplies,
And bounteous are his hands.
2. Although he no relenting felt
Till he had spent his store,
His stubborn heart began to melt,
When famine pinched him sore.
3. What have I gained by sin, he said:
But hunger, shame and fear,
My Father's house abounds with bread
Whilst I am starving here.
4. I'll go and tell him all I've done,
Fall down before his face;
Not worthy to be called his son,
I'll ask a servant's place.
5. He saw his son returning back,
He looked, he ran, he smiled,
And threw his arms around the neck
Of his rebellious child.