Tis pure delight without alloy
Settings by composers
- Abraham Wood — Aspiration
Text and translations
Tis pure delight without alloy,
Jesus, to hear thy name;
My spirit leaps with inward joy;
I feel the sacred flame.
2. My passions hold a pleasing reign,
While love inspires my breast;
Love, the divinest of the train;
The sovereign of the rest.
3. This is the grace must live and sing
When faith and fear shall cease;
Must sound from every joyful string
Through the sweet groves of bliss.
4. Let life immortal seize my clay;
Let love refine my blood;
Her flames can bear my soul away,
Can bring me near my God.
5. Swift I ascend the heavenly place,
And hasten to my home;
I leap to meet thy kind embrace;
I come, O Lord, I come.
6. Sink down, ye separating hills,
Let guilt and death remove;
Tis love that drives my chariot wheels,
And death must yield to love.
add links here