With hearts renewed (Henry Thomas Smart)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-10-09). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From Hymns Ancient and Modern. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. With hearts renewed, and cleansed from guilt of sin,
Send we our voices pealing to the skies;
Let a pure conscience echo joy within,
And all our powers in emulation rise:
To Father, Son and Holy Spirit’s praise,
Three Whom One Essence joins, one anthem here we raise.
2. Maker of all, the Father uncreate,
Of Him from everlasting born, the Son,
And the blest Spirit of co-equal state
From Both proceeding, are of substance One:
So in this Trinity the Persons three
One perfect Being are, one God, one Majesty.
3. Yet, none the less, each Person of the Trine
God, in His attributes distinct, we own;
Vainly would reason grasp the things divine,
Man can but bend adoring at God’s throne:
O may the Father, Son and Spirit be
Our help in time of need, our joy eternally.