Attention (Jacob French)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-03-11). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 63 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Lyricist: Anonymous Genre: Secular
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Revised 2018-01-22. Words and music as originally published in 1789. Words probably from an English popular song, before 1770, reproduced below. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-03-11). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 71 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Lyricist: Charles Wesley Genre: Sacred
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Revised 2018-01-22. Words substituted: Charles Wesley, 1762, Scripture Hymns No. 917, one stanza with meter 77. 78. D. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Composer: Jacob French
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Thou to me, O God, hast sent.
1. Cease a while ye winds to blow,
Cease ye roaring streams to flow;
Hushed be every other noise,
I want to hear my lover's voice.
2. Where's the brook, the rock, the tree?
Hark, a sound – I think 'tis he!
'Tis not he; yet night comes on.
Where's my love? Wanderer gone?
3. Loud I'll speak, to make him hear.
'Tis I who call, my love, my dear!
The time is come. Why this delay?
Alas! my wanderer's lost his way.
– The Bull-Finch, London, 1775, Song 202