Light, my light (John Alden Carpenter)
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-07-11). Score information: Letter, 8 pages, 380 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Cross posting by Art Song Central.
First published: 1914 No title, from Gitanjali (Song Offerings), No. 6. - Lyrics from Gitanjali, published 1913
- Entry at the "Lied and Art Song Text" site for "Light, My Light"
- Entry at the "Art Song Central" site
- Art Song Central's page on "Gitanjali"
- Details of Rabindranath Tagore's Song Cycle: 'Gitanjali' or `song offerings'
- Wikipedia entry for 'Gitanjali'
Original text and translations
Light, my light, the world-filling light, the eye-kissing light,
heart-sweetening light! Ah, the light dances, my darling, at
the centre of my life; the light strikes, my darling, the chords
of my love; the sky opens, the wind runs wild, laughter
passes over the earth.
The butterflies spread their sails on the sea of light. Lilies and
jasmines surge up on the crest of the waves of light.
The light is shattered into gold on every cloud, my darling,
and it scatters gems in profusion.
Mirth spreads from leaf to leaf, my darling, and gladness
without measure. The heaven’s river has drowned its banks
and the flood of joy is abroad.