Hartsfield (Solomon Howe)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-11-09). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 45 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Three stanzas included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-11-08). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 46 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Three stanzas included.
Description: First stanza (below) apparently by Howe himself, published first with this tune in 1804; second and third stanzas added for these editions: Isaac Watts, 1719, Hymn 5 of Book 3, stanzas 1 & 4, and 5 & 6.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Let us adore the eternal Word.
1. Jesus beheld the anxious throng
Press on for temporal food,
Neglectful of the bread of life,
The soul's immortal good.
2. In sweet advice and tenderest love,
He bade them all beware
Of sensual appetites and lusts,
The most destructive snare.