Chester (William Billings)
- Editor: Aaron Giles (submitted 2016-09-26). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 39 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes:
- Editor: William Long (submitted 2006-07-19). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Find score under 'Sacred Harp' section. New text added.
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 1999-01-27). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 24 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
Let tyrants shake their iron rod,
And Slav'ry clank her galling chains,
We fear them not, we trust in God,
New england's God forever reigns.
Howe and Burgoyne and Clinton too,
With Prescot and Cornwallis join'd,
Together plow our Overthrow,
In one Infernal league combin'd.
When God inspir'd us for the fight,
Their ranks were broke, their lines were forc'd,
Their ships were Shatter'd in our sight,
Or swiftly driven from our Coast.
The Foe comes on with haughty Stride;
Our troops advance with martial noise,
Their Vet'rans flee before our Youth,
And Gen'rals yield to beardless Boys.
What grateful Off'ring shall we bring?
What shall we render to the Lord?
Loud Halleluiahs let us Sing,
And praise his name on ev'ry Chord.