Forward! be our watchword (Henry Thomas Smart)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-10-08). Score information: A4, 1 page, 22 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1929 where the tune is called Smart. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. Forward! be our watchword, steps and voices joined;
Seek the things before us, not a look behind;
Burns the fiery pillar at our army’s head;
Who shall dream of shrinking, by Jehovah led?
Forward through the desert, through the toil and fight;
Jordan flows before us; Zion beams with light.
2. Glories upon glories hath our God prepared,
By the souls that love Him one day to be shared;
Eye hath not beheld them, ear hath never heard;
Nor of these hath uttered thought or speech a word;
Forward, marching forward, where the heaven is bright,
Till the veil be lifted, till our faith be sight.
3. Far o’er yon horizon rise the city towers
Where our God abideth; that fair home is ours:
Flash the streets with jasper, shine the gates with gold;
Flows the gladdening river shedding joys untold.
Thither, onward, thither, in the Jehovah’s might;
Pilgrims to your country, forward into light!
4. To the Father's glory loudest anthems raise;
To the Son and Spirit echo songs of praise;
To the Lord Jehovah, blessed Three in One,
Be by men and angels endless honour done.
Weak are earthly praises, dull the songs of night:
Forward into triumph, forward into light!