Massa's in the cold ground (Stephen Collins Foster)
- Editor: Ashley Etzkorn (submitted 2010-04-18). Score information: 18.8 x 25.9 cm, 1 page, 112 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Title: Massa's in the Cold Ground
Composer: Stephen Collins Foster
Description: This is one of the most graceful of the Stephen C. Foster melodies. It has the simple harmonic structure which is characteristic of all his compositions. The words voice the love of the servants for the kind master.
Original text and translations
1. Round de meadows am aringing
De darkey's mournful song,
While de mockingbird am singing,
Happy as de day am long.
Where de ivy am acreeping,
O'er de grassy mound,
Dere old Massa am asleeping,
Sleeping in de cold, cold ground.
Down in the cornfield
Hear dat mournful sound;
All de darkies am aweeping,
Massa's in de cold, cold ground.
2. When de autumn leaves were falling,
When de days were cold,
'Twas hard to hear old Massa calling,
Cayse he was so weak and old.
Now de orange trees am blooming,
On de sandy shore,
Now de summer days am coming,
Massa nebber calls no more.
3. Massa make de darkies love him,
Cayse he was so kind,
Now they sadly weep above him,
Mourning cayse he leave dem behind.
I cannot work before tomorrow,
Cayse de teardrops flow;
I try to drive away my sorrow,
Picking on de old banjo.