Pittsgrove (Nehemiah Shumway)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-06-08). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 60 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. The other six stanzas of Newton's hymn added below. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-06-08). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other six stanzas of Newton's hymn added below.
by John Newton, 1779, his Hymn 9 of Book 2. Shumway used the second stanza of Newton's hymn.
Original text and translations
1. Now may fervent prayer arise,
Winged with faith, and pierce the skies;
Fervent prayer shall bring us down
Gracious answers from the throne.
2. Bless, O Lord, the opening year,
To each soul assembled here;
Clothe Thy word with power divine,
Make us willing to be Thine.
3. Shepherd of the blood-bought sheep!
Teach the stony heart to weep;
Let the blind have eyes to see,
See themselves, and look on Thee!
4. Let the minds of all our youth
Feel the force of sacred truth;
While the gospel call they hear,
May they learn to love and fear.
5. Show them what their ways have been,
Show them the desert of sin;
Then Thy dying love reveal,
This shall melt a heart of steel.
6. Where Thou hast Thy work begun,
Give new strength the race to run;
Scatter darkness, doubts, and fears,
Wipe away the mourner’s tears.
7. Bless us all, both old and young;
Call forth praise from every tongue;
Let the whole assembly prove
All Thy power, and all Thy love.