Rosalía de Castro
Aliases: Rosalía Castro de Murguía
Born: 24 February 1837
Died: 15 July 1885
Rosalía de Castro was a Galician writer and poet. A native of Santiago de Compostela in the Galicia region of northwest Spain, she wrote in both Galician and Castilian.
Writing in the Galician language, she became an important figure of the Galician romantic movement, known today as the Rexurdimento ("renaissance"), along with Manuel Curros Enríquez and Eduardo Pondal.
She married Manuel Murguía, member of the Galician Academy, historian, journalist and editor of Rosalía's books.
The date she published her first collection of poetry in Galician, Cantares gallegos ("Galician Songs"), 17 May 1863, is commemorated every year as the Día das Letras Galegas ("Galician Literature Day"), an official holiday of the Autonomous Community of Galicia, and dedicated to an important writer in the Galician language since 1963.
View the Wikipedia article on Rosalía de Castro.
Settings of text by Rosalía de Castro
- Cando a luíña aparece (Angel Viro)
- Cava lixeiro, cava (Adrian Cuello)
- Cómo chove (Angel Viro)
- De balde (Adrian Cuello)
- Farruquiño do pombal (Angel Viro)
- Lévame a aquela fonte cristaíña (Adrian Cuello)
- Negra sombra (Juan Montes)
- ¿Qué pasa ó redor de min? (Adrian Cuello)
- Rosaliana (Alberto Álvarez Calero)
- Vamos bebendo (Adrian Cuello)
- Cantares gallegos (1863)
add web links here