The Crown of Roses (Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky)
- Editor: Matthew Watts (submitted 2020-01-18). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 56 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Mark Chapman (submitted 2009-02-07). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 312 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
First published: 1883
Description: First published as #5 in the composer's collection "Songs for the Young" for voice & piano; arr. by the composer for chorus 1889.
Stoddard's poem Roses and Thorns begins "The young child Jesus had a garden". English versions matching the 8-syllable lines of Pleshcheyev's imitation are "When Jesus Christ was but a child" (G. Deamer) and "Fair was the garden, blest with flow'rs" (William Gurney Rothery).
- Tchaikovsky-research.net entry
- 16 Songs for Children, Op.54 at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
- Arensky's String Quartet opus 35 at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP), whose second movement was arranged as Variations on a Theme by P.Tschaikovsy for String Orchestra (1894), op. 35a
Original text and translations
When Jesus Christ was yet a child
Als Jesus noch ein Kind war,